ALTERNATOR

2000 Dodge Ram • 138,000 miles

I can run my truck and my batt gauge will. Say good then I hit a bump in the road and it will drop. But anytime I can undo the battery and it will shut off.T I am getting power everywhere. I just don't want to replace my alternater and that not be the problem
Jason86

Take the vehicle to a parts store and have them load test the alternator. Have them bump it with a rubber mallet to see if the voltage changes.

I did and they said it was good and tgen I took it to another place and they said it was good I put it back on the truck and it killed the battery again. I even took it apart and the brushes looked good and got it tested again and they said it was good. But still killing my battery. I looked at all my wires and they looked good too no breaks.

Jason86
Have you checked to see if the power from the alternator is making it to the battery?

I just put another alternater on it and its doing the same thing. Does it have a voltage regulator on the body somewhere. What else should I do?

Jason86
The regulator is built into the alt. Have you checked to see if there is power to the battery from the alt when it is started?

Yes I'm getting power I have a really big feeling that its my PCM. I have talked to a few people bout itand was reading up on google. But I'm just gonna sale the truck and be done with it. It is my first dodge and will be my last. But thank you anyways. Yal are big help.

Ps thanks

Jason86
Ouch. No more trucks from dodge. Thats all I own. Lol I love them. The old ones (early 1990's) had alts that were regulated through the PCM. It was a big deal if you lost an alternator because it would usually take out the PCM too. However, they have changed that set up.

Regardless, if you have other questions, let me know.