CAR WHINES - BELT, POWER STEERING, ALIGNMENT, OR OTHER?

2000 Dodge Dakota • 89,000 miles

My 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9 L V6 (89,000 miles) has been having an issue with a whine coming from the steering column and/or engine. The whine came on one day when I was pulling into a driveway, turning the wheel sharp left. It continued as I drove home, increasing in pitch/volume with the tachometer. It gets REALLY bad when I turn at all, and vibrates the steering column a bit.

I heard it could be a belt, which would explain why the whine increases as the RPM increases, but I haven't heard that affecting the steering.

I also heard it could be power steering, but that wouldn't explain why it goes up with the RPM when driving straightaways.

The last thing I've looked into was a possible wheel alignment. Is there any way to check into these things for sure on my own, and if you have any other ideas, what would they be?
Computergeek931

Power steering pump is most likely problem check fluid level, run engine hood open have helper turn wheeel noise should be coming from pump. As PRMs go up pump turne faster so noise gets louder

Docfixit