HELP!

2000 Dodge Caravan • 148,000 miles

I have a 2000 Dodge Caravan and am having problems with the fuel system. I start the van and get about 1/2 mile and it quits on me. I wait for about an hour and then it starts (sometimes). I am not sure if it is the gas filter or the fuel pump. You advice would be greatly appreciated. I need my van to drive to work which I just got about 5 weeks ago.
Will Figueroa

Hook up a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the pressure if its the fuel pump it will show as a sore thumb-let me know

If fuel pressure is okay and still you have to wait before its starts again -check for spark

I appreciate your advice. Here is my dilema; I can't afford to buy a fuel pressure tester or have it towed to be tested. I would barely have the money for the fuel pump. I had tried to start it this morning and all it does is turn over but won't start. Thanks for your help. Not sure what I am gonna do.

Will Figueroa
I wish there was some way for me to know what I have to replace, the filter or fuel pump. It is hard at the present to afford both. Thanks for your advice rasmataz. Hope to fix it today so I don't miss work. Wish me luck.

Will Figueroa
I tried some starting fluid and it wants to run for a second and then dies out. Do you think its the fuel pump? Also, Do I have to drop the tank to get to the fuel pump?

Will Figueroa
When you turn On the van-do you hear the fuel pump?

No so my son and I went and bought both pump and filter. Am gonna put them in tomorrow. I even got a wrench to take the huge round plastic nut that holds the pump in place. Will let you know things work out. Thanks for your advice.

Will Figueroa
You're welcome

Put the new fuel pump and filter in this morning and it was the pump. Works just fine now. Again I thank you for your help.I will always ask you for your expertise.

Will Figueroa
No problem and you're welcome anytime

Page 1 of 2