DAEWOO LEGANZA TIMING BELT PROBLEM

2000 Daewoo Leganza • 185,000 miles

I am nearing completion of the timing belt and I need to know how to install and adjust the tensioner. I really don't see the mark on the engine, but I do see a small piece of metal to the left and below the tensioner. It is also sort of below the water pumo. It is raised about 1 qtr inch and the tensioner will actually stop against it. Do you have a good diagram or picture or can you better describe what I am looking for and how I am to adjust this thing. Thank you.
Charlestuck

These are the information we have in our databsse, hope it is helpful.

Installation

1. Ensure crankshaft and camshaft timing marks are still aligned. Turn the timing belt tensioner counterclockwise to tension the timing belt. Turn tensioner until the pointer aligns with the notch on the rear timing belt cover. Tighten automatic tensioner bolt to specification.

2. Using crankshaft center bolt, turn crankshaft clockwise (as viewed from timing belt end of engine) 2 full revolutions. Ensure timing belt tensioner pointer is still aligned with notch.

3. If timing belt tensioner is correctly aligned, install timing belt cover. Install the engine mount bracket on the timing belt end of engine. Position power steering hose in place, and install clamp bolt. Install crankshaft pulley. Install serpentine accessory drive belt.

4. Install right front splash shield. Install right front wheel. Install air filter housing and resonator. Connect air intake temperature sensor connector. Connect negative battery cable.

Right now even after backing off the tensioner, I cannot fit the belt around everything. Should I adjust the water pump to allow the timing belt to fit around the pulleys, etc?

Charlestuck
When I removed the old belt, it was somewhat slack, how tight should the belt b?

Charlestuck
The belt should allow a slight deflection when you press against with a little force. You should not be able to see any slack when you turn the crankshaft to varying degrees.

No, don't tamper with the water pump. Amount of adjustment is not much therefore the belt is a rather tight fit. Ensure the tensioner is backed off correctly.