COOLER THERMOSTAT?

2000 Chevrolet Silverado • V8 2WD Automatic • 60,000 miles

2000 Chevy Sliverado 2500 6.0L
I pull a heavy toy hauler and would like to know if it is okay to install a cooler thermostat. Truck does not overheat. I am just a little uncomfortable always running at the factory temp of 200-210 degrees. Is it necessary to run at this temp for proper lubrication, combustion ect?
I would like to install a 160 or 180 degree thermostat.

Stainless1320

I believe the temp it is designed to run at, is for optimum fuel economy, and oil life. A cooler thermostat may jeopardize some fuel economy. I can't find any specific literature on the subject to either support, or condemn the use of a different thermostat. In certain cases, you may set fault code P0125 if the function of the system is altered enough that it meets fault criteria. I have included the info on that code.

DTC P0125 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Insufficient for Closed Loop Fuel Control

Circuit Description
The controls module monitors the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor and engine run time in order to determine how long it takes the ECT to reach the coolant temperature required for Closed Loop operation. DTC P0125 sets if the control module determines that the ECT does not reach a minimum coolant temperature required for Closed Loop operation in a specified amount of time.

Conditions for Running the DTC
• The engine is running.

• No active ECT sensor DTCs

• No active intake air temperature (IAT) sensor DTCs

• The IAT is more than -40°C (-40°F).

• The ECT is more than -40°C (-40° F).

• The start-up ECT is 40°C (104° F) or less.

Closed Loop Test
• Start-up ECT near -40°C (-40° F)

- Accumulated air flow since start is more than 9,000 grams

- Accumulated idle time is less than 360 seconds

• Start-up ECT near -7°C (+20°F)

- Accumulated air flow since start is more than 5,500 grams

- Accumulated idle time is less than 225 seconds

• Start-up ECT near 10°C (50°F)

- Accumulated air flow since start is more than 2,000 grams

- Accumulated idle time is less than 90 seconds

Conditions for Setting the DTC
• The Closed Loop coolant temperature is not reached within a predetermined time. The maximum allowable time depends on the start-up coolant temperature and the amount of air flow into the engine.

• Start-up ECT near -40°C (-40°F)

ECT less than 20°C (68°F) after 8 minutes

• Start-up ECT near -7°C (20°F)

ECT less than 20°C (68°F) after 5 minutes

• Start-up ECT near 10°C (50° F)

ECT less than 20°C (68°F) after 2 minutes

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
• The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) if a failure is detected during 2 consecutive key cycles.

• The control module sets the DTC and records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic failed. The failure information is stored in the scan tool Freeze Frame/Failure Records.

Factoryjack
You mat want to consider instaliation of electric fan

Docfixit
Yes, I would like to go to an electric fan and electric coolant pump. Do you have a suggestion as far as name brand, model or type?
Also, If I may, I need to replace the fuel gage sending unit as there were many defective units installed for this model year. Is it easier to drop the fuel tank or lift the bed off the frame to get to the sending unit?
Thanks.

Stainless1320
Hayden and ProForm / I would drop tank gstacey right do not lower thermostat

Docfixit
Hey thanks you guys! Great web site!

Stainless1320
Welcome tella friend

Docfixit