CHEVY VAN WONT START

2000 Chevrolet Express • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 80,000 miles

I have a 2000 chevy 2500 van 4.3 liter, it dies then it wont start agian, will be ok for one week then it does it again. Dealer said ecm was ok that it was the fuel pump, I replaced it but it didnt solve the problem, it has no codes, fuses ecm1 and engine 1 seemed to be shorted together. You can pull either one out leaving other and it will still run. When its running cigarette lighter works. When it doesnt cigarette lighter doesnt either, all other acesories work.I am lost now can anyone help?
Dave callans

Are you saying the engine doesn't crank? Are the dash lights acting normal?

Wrenchtech
Yes it cranks just no start, im not sure about dash lights, I trhink they are

Dave callans
Here's what you have to do before any conclusions can be drawn.

All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.

Wrenchtech
I will have to check those things later, but I was wondering if these two symptoms are any help?-Sprayed starting fluid in intake, figured if it had fire it would run and stop, it started and just kept running. Pus ecm and engine one fuse seem to be shorted together. If you pull either one and leave the other it still runs. Thanks

Dave callans
That does to point toward a fuel pump problem. This engine uses a high pressure system and is very pressure sensitive. It requires a minimum of 55PSI to run.

Wrenchtech
Just one more thing. Hope you reply back - cigarette lighter has no power when it doesnt start. When power comes back to the lighter it starts all other power works.

Dave callans
That doesn't jive with your previous response. Priming the intake would have no effect on that.

Wrenchtech
Thanks, im sorry I dont have a donation today, but I will be paying for more questions later - dave c.

Dave callans
Question; does this only happen after a heavy overnight rain?

Paulhenry