CHEVROLET CAVALIER GAS PROBLEM

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier • 185,000 miles

2000 chevy cavalier, automatic,
I was pulling out of a parking space and started to drive when my car just stopped, almost like the emergency break was pulled. The car starts n runs fine. When I put it in reverse u feel it go into gear n it moves for a second like when u release the brake n the same thing happens when u put it in drive, it will go into gear n roll for just a second. When I give it gas it wont go anywhere. I've tried reverse, drive, 1st n 2nd gears. I've tried to push it in neutral, drive, n reverse but the car wont move. No prior problems. No indications my transmission was going. The car has been running fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Check fluid level if you can if dark brown or black trans is toast and needsa rebuild. If low add fluid. If still not working have atrans guy look at it.