WON'T START

2000 Chevrolet Astro • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 220,000 miles

I have a 2000 Astro and it will not start when first started (usually with a jump). It has high mileage but until recently, has been starting ok. I know it needs a tune-up but I think it could be something else as well. Sometimes I can see smoke coming from the breather when trying to start it, white smoke.
Shazbah

You can't ignore tune-up, it's a maintenance issue. Any applicable trouble codes? To check codes yourself, at the least, you need an obd2 code reader. Some of the national brand autostores used to check codes for free. If you have the spider fuel system, fuel pressure is critical. Use a gage and check fuel pressure.

Thanks. About a week ago I accessed trouble codes P0420, and P0300. Catalytic converter and engine misfire respectively. I don't know what kind of fuel system I have but about a year ago, it tested at 59 psi (?). If you can, based on what I have told you, what would you suggest as a starting point (after the tune-up). I would like to try to get it all done all at once. Thanks.

Shazbah
Why do you have to jump it? You need to be sure the battery has a full charge and the connections are clean and tight. Use a digital multimeter across battery posts, everything off, the generic spec for a full charge is 12.6 volts. If the battery doesn't have a good charge, you can't test anything.

The tune-up may have an effect on the trouble codes, tune-up first. You do have spider fuel system, you need to check fuel pressure again, 60--66 psi, key on engine off. Once fuel pump stops, the pressure shouldn't drop more than 5 psi in 10 minutes.

I ran the battery down trying to start the vehicle. It is a fairly new battery (Nov. '11) so it should be OK. I will do the tune-up and do the fuel pressure test and reply when with the results. Thanks again.

Shazbah
Let us know.

I found that the wrong rotor was installed previously was the primary culprit. After doing the tune-up, it has been starting right up. It was not my fuel pump as I feared. Thanks for your help.

Gene

Shazbah
Glad you got it going your way.