THE EXHAUST IS COMING IN THE CABIN AND ALOS I CAN SMELL SULFUR

2000 Chevrolet Astro • 143,000 miles

The exhaust is coming in to the cabin. It comes and it goes. One of my machanic tried back pressuring it but he did not see any leaks in the exhaust pipes.I thought was the oil leaking from the oil pan that I have that is dripping on the exhaust pipes and causing this smell but it
is no. The exhaust is rather stronger than the exhaust coming from the tailpipe at the back.

Also there is sulfur smell I am getting. When I smell my hands at the end of the day it smells like sulfur even though I was it. Th ediff was leaking very little and it seems like this is the smell as it was smelling just like the smell I was getting but the diff seal was replaced
and the smell is still there.I am trying to figure this for some time now. The smel is very annoying and possible harzardous to my health.

Please help with these questions.
Thanking you in advance.
Andrew
Andrew125

Heres where I would start have your exhaust pipe smoke tested. They have a cone shaped adapter and inject smoke into the exhaust system. If there are leaks you will see the smoke escape.

Ok I will try doing this tommorrow.I was also told that it might be the cataylic converter.

Thank you saturntech

Andrew125
Also have them check your dog house seal etc for sealing correctly seal being good etc.

As you mentioned the dog house, one of bolt was not screwing in tightly and it was kind of spinning when I tighten it (but could sulfur and exhaust be coming at the same time for the engine cover)? One of machanic told me to check this and he said it might also be the oil for the oil pan and also the transmission fuel dropping on the exhaust pipe. But another machanic said the oil transmission fuel would not smell like sulfur or exhaust.I also went by another muffler guy toda and he did not wanted to do what I told him you said to do. He said it might the gas to rich, EGR VALVE, the oxygen sensor giving another part a wrong signal etc (I forgot which part he mentioned). He said that is could cause the fumes to com up from under the vehicle.
I am really worried about
this. If I have to go by the dealer they would kill me with the price.I just changed the water pump and intake gasket, diff seal(which is a bit leaking).
I am now waiting to get that part that holds the bolt of the engine cover.I will also buy the rubber seal. The tot price is good (60.00)-from a vintage dealer.I will change it and keep in contact. Hope it is not the catalytic converter.

Thanks saturntech.

Andrew125
When the cats go bad and smell it usually smells like rotten eggs. Give the exhaust a sniff while its running and see if the exhaust smells like sulfur?Also check the battery and alternator batteries can give off a sulfur smell.