WON'T START

2000 Cadillac DTS • 100,000 miles

My DTS has been in storage. Just put in new battery. 1/4 tank gas. Motor turns over, but no start. If I spray starting fluid into intake, the motor starts immed and runs for 20 to 30 seconds, then shuts off. Fuel pump fuse and relay test good. Can you suggest a next step in determining the source of the problem.

Also, can you clarify where the Powertrain Control Module is located on this vehicle?
Jodyaustin

How long did it sit? The fuel could be bad.

PULL A FUEL SAMPLE FROM THE FUEL RAIL IN A GLASS JAR. IF HAS A SMELL THE GAS IS BAD OR IT LOOKS LIKE TWO DIFERENT FLUIDS THATS WATER. YOU WILL HAVE TO REMOVE THE FUEL TANK TO DRAIN IT. NEXT TIME USE STAYBIL.

Cadieman
18 mths.
Wondering if I should be able to hear the fuel pump come on. Can't hear anything with the ignition switch on.I've checked the fuel pump fuse & relay. Seem to be okay. If the fuel is bad, I would think that it would run. Poorly, perhaps, but still run. What do you think about a fuel addittive to "rejuvenate" the fuel. How can I confirm the fuel pump is running. Should I be able to hear it?

Jodyaustin
You should be able to hear it run for a couple seconds a key on. 18 months is a bit long, but it should still run on that fuel, unless of course it was sub-standard fuel 18 months ago. There is a fuel pressure test port on the fuel injector rail. Aside from having a test gauge, you may be able to see if fuel is present(under pressure) by depressing the core at the test port, it is like a tire valve core. If there is pressurized fuel behind it after key on, or crank, that is one thing, but is the pressure adequate, is another concept. In the trunk, under the floor liner, there is a bolt on panel in the forward RH(passenger) corner. Under that panel is the fuel pump module(at the tank). You can check power and ground at that connector, use a volt meter or test light, across the gray and black terminals. The light should light, or you will see voltage, only for a couple seconds at key on, or during cranking(which may require the use of a second person). If you can confirm power and ground at the pump, you have verified the relay, and the PCM control of the relay. At that point, replace the pump AND filter. To answer your question from the original post, the powertrain control module is in the air cleaner housing.

Factoryjack
Also pour fuel in the trottle body and see if it cranks and run as you feed it. Just pull a fuel sample from the valve on the fuel rail. If the fuel smells or you use a hose to pull a sample. Then youll know what your dealing with. There is nothing you can just add you need to drop the tank and flush it. Then you run a addive to clean up all the vasnish that happening.

Cadieman
Thanks gstacey & cadieman for the help.I really appreciate it.I'll give your suggestions a try

Jodyaustin