I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE IGNITION

2000 Audi TT • 150,000 miles

Iput the key in the ignition and the key spun, but would not start the vehhicle and when I tried to turn the key to off postion the electrical stayed on. The only way to get the power off I had to disconnect the battery. Do I need to replace the ignition switch or the cylinder or is it something worse than that? How do I remove whatever it is?

Thank you.

Ken
Kbmaughan

Hi, well I would start with the ignition switch located on top of the steering coloumn there is a rod comeing from your ignition tumbler to this switch this rod could have broken or simply just come off.

It is very difficult to see but with a flashlight you should be able to see that the rod moves when the key does. If it does not then the switch or the rod is broken.

If the rod does not move when you turn key then tumbler is broken
this would be the worst case senario. To replace this tumbler you will need a service manual. You will also need a few special tools. So hope for the switch. Good luck Billymac

Billymac