A/C ACTING CRAZY...

2000 Audi TT • 5 cylinder AWD Automatic •

Replied on August 21, 2011

The orifice tube or expansion valve is alway between the condenser and evaporator. At the condenser follow the line that goes to the evaporator, you'll run right into it-

Raz- Thanks for the quick response. Is the evaporator also known as the "dryer"? And where is the condensor? Is that the high pressure switch? Please see my next question also.

When my Audi is at idle, the a/c is really cold. But when I drive it, once I get over 2,000 rpm's, the a/c gets warm. When I stop at a redlight, it gets cold again. A "weekend" mechaninc friend of mine said that the orifice tube may be stopped up?
Dannybarn

Its freezing up -have the system evacuated

But as soon as I stop at a redlight, it gets cold again within 5-10 seconds. And as soon as I speed up, it gets hot again, within 5-10 seconds. If I stop, it immediately gets cold. And the cycle continues.

Could that be the orifice tube stopped up? How could it freeze up, then get cold again in 10 seconds when I stop at a redlight?

Dannybarn
The freon in it looks yellowish, or milky. Could that mean anything?

Dannybarn
It most likely means there's a little water in it. As mentioned, you should have the system evacuated and recharged. As the engine RPMs increase, the pressure increases, causing the freon to get cold enough for the water in it to freeze in the orifice tube. When you slow down, the heat in the engine compartment thaws it, allowing the freon to flow into the evaporator.

Rivermikerat