ON A VW VR6 2800 ENG . DOES THIS CAR NEED TO HAVE THE TIMING SET AFTER REPLACING THE THERMOSTAT

1999 Volkswagen Jetta

I replaced the thermostat on this 2800 eng once I poured a gal of anti-freeze into burp tank the owner of the car started the car up, it made a loud clanking sound like it had bent valves and the car was turned off, the engine will not rotate at all now, the owner clames that another mechanic informed him that I was to set the timing on the eng before starting up the car, is this true and would it be my fault
Texpartyboy

Was it doing that making the clanking noise before you touch the car? I don't think you need to set the timing just to replace a thermostat

Although the thermostat is somewhat near the timing chains, you do not have to touch the chains at all to remove the thermostat. Infact, you must remove the transmission to have full access to the timing chains on a VR6.

What is common, is the that chain guides were out and the chain skips and bends valves. This is most likely what happened to your vehicle.

F4I_guy