FRONTERA NOW WONT START

1999 Vauxhall Fronterra • 4WD Manual • 82,000 miles

Hi I have a 1999 t reg frontera today I was running then when I went out to go out in it it started then over reved then cut out and wont start again what could it be
Tuffrus

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Do below to determine if its a fuel or spark problem

--Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs,coil's resistances,cap and rotor,distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

Thanks for your replay no there is no spark dont understand y it just not starting has been running fine up untill today what else could it be would be very greatfull for your help thanks

Tuffrus
When I read where you said it "over-revved" flags went up in my head. I'm not familiar with Vauxhall, but if it has a computer, the over-rev may have caused problems with it.

As for no spark, check the coil output. Perform the same test as above, but with the coil lead and not individual plug wires.
Next, pull the cap off the distributor and see if the rotor turns. The "over-rev" you mentioned tells me it might not be. Being a 2.2, it most likely has a timing belt. See if you can find the cam drive gear and see if it turns when you have a helper crank the engine over. If not, you've found your problem. With the cap off the distributor, try turning the rotor by hand. It shouldn't do anything more than wiggle a little. Anything more than a wiggle, replace it. This may be easy or fairly involved, depending upon where the break occurred.

With 82K miles on the engine, I'm thinking a snapped timing belt.

Rivermikerat