ENGINE 5S-FE 2.2 LITER. CRANK WON'T TURN ALL THE WAY OVER BY HAND TO SET TIMING.

1999 Toyota Camry • 2.2L 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 170,000 miles

To Mike. I talk to you earlier today and you said to send you a note. I think I have a similar problem like one of your members had on Dec. 7, 2011. I was trying to find out what was ultimately the problem with his car. You said to reply to his string and send you a note and you would try to contact him also. Here is the reply I sent him: ( his user name is granolavsraisins )
"Hi Granolavsraisins. I think I have similar problem to what you had. I can not turn my Toyota FS-FE 2.2 liter engine over with a wrench to line up the crankshaft timing marks. It hits something and stops. It will turn the other way about 170 degrees and hits something and stops again. We have done a lot of testing and really ruled out the valves being broke or bent. I do realize this is a non interference motor, but we checked anyway. Here's the thing, I don't know about yours but mine will turn right over with the starter. It sounds OK, nothing hitting or making unusual noises. So I took the starter off and it did the same thing when trying by hand with a wrench. By the way, what started all this was my water pump broke. So What was the out come with your engine? What was wrong? Thank you Julian
Julian 1957