SATURN SW2 ENGINE PROBLEM

1999 Saturn SW2 • 177,400 miles

Acceleration problem. When I first start the car and when it is in gear, the car feels like the accelerator is being pushed and will accelerate to about 35 miles an hour on its own. If I put the car in Park, the engine will race (2000-2500 rpms) briefly and then return to idle (900 rpm). When I put it back into gear, again the car will accelerate on its own. I wouldn't think the accelerator is stuck because it will idle fine. Is my cruise control stuck? I turned off the cruise control (there's an on-off switch) and it made no difference. Any ideas?
Spbissen

Does it have any service engine soon lights on? When the car is swiched off and not running, dones the pedals feel normal?

Stephens749
No service engine lights are displayed. The pedals do feel normal and everything seems to work fine when the car is in park and idling. The idle is a normal 900 rpms. When the car is in Drive it feels like I'm fighting the car to stop. When the car is in Neutral the engine is racing at around 2000-2500 rpms and will not rev down.

Spbissen
There is only a few things that could make your idle go up that high. The first thing I need you to check is your brake booster vacuum hose. I am wondering when the torque of the engine it is pulling this causing a vacuum leak thus causing high idle. This is a black rubber hose from the intake the brake booster on the driver side firewall. Booster is right behind brake master cylinder. Check to see if you see any cracks or broken fittings. If that is not it something is telling the computer to speed up idle or the idle air control valve cannot stay in postion. Check this by unplugging idle air control valve. Then start engine and see if still idles high. The IAC valve is located on the throlttle body housing. It is black and round with four wires going to it. Let me know if any of these help.

Stephens749