KEY WILL NOT TURN IN THE IGNITION.

1999 Saturn SL2 • 14,500 miles

1999 Saturn SL2 key in the ignition will not turn at all. Already tried turning the steering wheel, no avail. Please help.
Snapkin

Does the key look badly worn down?Also if you jiggle the key up and down while turning it does it turn?Another trick pop the ignition bezel off then take a hammer and lightly hit the key hole opening. Then see if the cylinder will turn. Let me know what you find.

I have tried two keys. I will try the other ideas and let you know. I am waiting for a ride back to my car now so if you have any other ideas please let me know.

Snapkin
Those are my only ideas if you cant get it to turn with those ideas you will have to drill the cylinder so it will turn so you can replace it. Ethier way your going to have to replace it. Let me know what you find.

Is there any way I could force the switch to turn using a screw driver and vice grips?

Snapkin
No try what I asked if not your drilling it you have to get the cylinder to the acc position to remove and replace it. Let me know how it goes.

OK I will let you know as soon as I get back. Thank you again.

Snapkin
Your welcome keep me posted.

I think I'm going to have to drill it out. Any advise on that?

Snapkin
Measure the distance the key actual goes into the cylinder then mark that distance on the drill bit with some tape. That will show you how deep you have to drill it. Then you drill into the key hole I would start with a 3/16" bit then once the bita all he way in rock it up ajd down in the key hole. Then see if the cylinder will turn. Then when you get it home and get a new cylinder let me know and I will tell you how to replace it.

Ok. It might be a couple days. I have yup work.

Snapkin
Page 1 of 4