WHAT DO I DO TO FIX P0410?

1999 Saturn SL2 • 260,000 miles

The other day my Service Engine Soon light came on and then shut off after a day and 2 days later it came back on and its still on so I went to Advance Auto Parts and they read me the code and told me its something to do with the Secondary Air Injection. I know my car has a secondary air pump but I'm not sure if thats the same or has anything to do with that. Thank you in advance.
Edweezy21

It could be the pump, check valve or relay. They all need to be checked to find out which component has failed.

Yes, the code is for the secondary injection pump and it can be due to faulty pump, clogged vacuum hoses or air passages or a wiring fault.

Which engine do you have?

Its a twin cam 1.9L same set up for the single cam engine also as far as the secondary air injection goes. First thing I would do is do a cold start and see if you can hear the air pump kock on?Also inspect the vacuum lines going to the secondary air injection solenoid on top of the ac compressor. The most common reason for that code I have seen is a bad combination valve on the ac compressor. Does the car burn a lot of oil?

Yea the air pump kicks on everytime I start the car. It's fairly loud so it's not like you wouldn't be able to hear it lol. As at as burning oil, it used to burn oil but that was because the valve cover gaskets were bad. I replaced it and now it's good. The check engine light did shut off like the first time it did it so I'm not sure if its an intermittent fault or what.

Edweezy21
I know where the combination valve is but how would I know if that's what's bad since my check engine light keeps going on and off sometimes within the same day?

Edweezy21
The combination valve is one of the most common reasons for the P0410 code. There easy to check you will need a hand vacuum pump with a gauge you hook it to the combination valve and pump the valve up to about 20 inch pounds of vacuum and see if it holds. When there bad and setting that code they will loose vacuum fast. You can also use that hand pump to check the vacuum source to the combination valve.

That sounds easy enough. So if it doesn't hold, just replace it. If it does hold, what else should I check?

Edweezy21
If it does hold next I would wait for a cold start hook the vacuum pump to the vacuum hose going to the combination valve and start it. See if your getting a good vacuum source to the combination valve and if the air injection solenoid is working etc.