OIL LIGHT

1999 Pontiac Grand Am • 89,000 miles

Yesterday I was driving the car on and off for some of the day I went to pick my son up at work and we stopped to make a left turn had to wait for traffic then while waiting the chime started ringing looked at the and naturally the oil pressure has no guage just an idiot light and the oil light was on had oil change less thana month ago with synthetic oil. When I was able to make the turn and the idle rose the light went out, I got home it came back on I opened the hood no abnormal noises. I let the car cooldown then checked the oil it was just a little low not even 1/4 a quart.I drove the car again about 20 minutes it was ok until I got home light came on again. So I let go until today sat overnight my wife drove the kids to work drove the car 1-2 hours and nothing light did not come on but after she came home I let the car cool checked oil and it was almost 1quart low according to dip stick it was up to the 3rd dot not up to the 4th any explanation for this. The engine is a 2.4 twincam I have only had the car a month the day I bought it driving up the PA turnpike from the persons house I just bought the car from the engine threw a rod right through the block I just got the car back 2 weeks ago with a replacement engine new water pump timing chain, tensioner, and trans mount. Im a lucky guy huh. And ihave been in and out of the auto buisness for over 20 years last 5 in service before getting sick. But this one has me tottally baffled. Thanks guys. Wish I could donate but s.S.I. Barely feeds my kids and make the house payment thanks for understanding, you all come up with some pretty good answers for these people im impressed good job!
Mfgind

Try a different oil filter like napa, Purolator, or Wix. Also check oil pressure with a manual guage when hot.