BATTERY

1999 Mercury Tracer • 4 cylinder FWD Manual •

I need to know what cable wires are postive and negative for 1999 mercury Tracer. Someone took out old battery and i'm not sure which wires are what. If you have a picture or diagram that would be a big help.

Thank Tom A.
Tma13501

I will look for a diagram, but the negative cable goes to engine block and positive goes to starter solenoid. Attach positive cable first!

Merlin2021
Wiring Diagram of charging system.

Merlin2021
My dad installed the battery backwards and of course nothing is working. I checked all the fuses and it appears that the main fuse is blown. I know that there are 2 screws on either side holding this fuse in. I have tried everything to get these screws off without any success. It looks like the 3/8" socket is slightly too small and a 7/16"--too large. Any suggestions on the type of tool to get these screws off?

Thanks.

TJPatek
10mm

Merlin2021
Thanks. It worked. I got the main fuse out and a new one in. The car is up and running except the battery warning symbol is on. Is there another fuse that needs to be changed or a sensor that needs to be replaced?

Again, thanks for the help!

TJPatek
Check the alternator output

Merlin2021
Possibly a fuse link near the battery on the positive wires at the solenoid.

Merlin2021