CHANGING A ECM(ENGINE CONTROL MODULE)

1999 Lexus GS 300 • 20,000 miles

Had all kinds of problems going on with this car but come to find out its the ECM. Got a used one online and need to know if this is somthing I can put in myself? I was told once its in I would have to have the Keys reprogramed or it want start. Well thats the problem im having now. I have to unplug the batter to get it to start, resets itself. Once I put this in could I get it to crank by any chance just to drive it to the Lexus place to get the key fixed? And by the way I donated some money but I sent it before I typed the question.
KISHA8223

Ok, first of all, the ecm is programmed to the wrong vehicle. To start with, it has to be flashed with all the correct info from your car. Then the security can be programmed. Have it towed to the dealer and make sure you tell them you installed a used ecm. They may or may not help you. They may want to replace it with a new, which is the right way to do it. I know it is all about the money, but sometimes it is better to do it right without all the hassle.
And, by the way, I hope your issue is the ecm. What were the issues you had that led you to this repair? Hopefully a shop did this diag for you.

Lexus only provides relearn proceedures for NEW PCM. Not sure about used one cause it will have that cars key programed. Call Lexus see what they recomend. Can you put old one back in and drive to dealer?

Docfixit
Well first the car stop cranking, the securty light would never go off. It didnt know the keys anymore. Well I fig a way how to crank it then the gears started slipping, the fuel pump started acting like it wasnt working anymore. Well nobody could tell me what was wrong. Took it to a place that works only on Lexus and he told me it was the ECM. I even took it to the Lexus place and they couldnt tell me what the problem was. Been working on this for 4 months now. Started with a bad battery and after that it when crazy. I know you say do it the right way but they want to change 2500$ for a ECM that cost 250$. Dont have that kind of money.

KISHA8223
Oh ive not changed it yet. I cant find anyone around here that knows how to put it in. Live in a very small town and the closes Lexus place is about 1 1/2 away. Some people on the internet tells me its very easy to put in it just takes someone to reprogram the key.

KISHA8223
Check with other shops for a bid. We buy the parts new from the dealer and have them flashed, we do flashing ourselves. The most I have ever charged is 900.
Ecms are not cheap. Used parts are always a crap shoot. It may or may not take the new flashing. I would return it to the internet.
Why dont you try and find a shop, not a dealer, that specializes in lexus and have them verify this. If it all started from a battery replacement, there may be something missing here that may not require replacing the ecm.

Trust me if I could find a shop I would. Ive taken it to the Toyota place, Lexus, a few whole in the walls. Atleast 10 places and nobody could help me. Only one place told me what it was and he couldnt understand how the Lexus place didnt see the problem. But he wants to change 2000 to do it. I would have spent 900 but dont have 2000. I even called locked smiths, everyone tells me I have to take it to the lexus place. Is there such people that work on ECM

KISHA8223
If you have parts stores in your area that sell these, not dealers, but parts stores, ask them if they can send off your ecm to a re-manufacturer to test it and repair it. We have one in our area that does that and we can at least confirm that the unit was bad. The money to reman it is a lot less. Call around and see.

Oh, ok! SO it can be repaired? Didnt know that. Ill do that! Thanks!

KISHA8223
Good luck