HOW DO YOU REMOVE A HITCH? WITHOUT GETTING A GRINDER AND JUST GOING BALISTIC THAT IS :)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee • 149,245 miles

Hey Guys-
Earlier I posted about a jeep dying randomly. After doing a fuel pressure test like recommended, it was determined that the fuel pump was failing. Looked at the instructions and decided "hey I can do this." Well.
I am having a stupid problem. My Jeep grand cherokee (1999 4.7 V8) came with a factory installed hitch receiver. When I was removing the bolts for the hitch I removed too many and the actual tank dropped, wedging the hitch in and trapping the tank behind the hitch.
My Question Is-How do I remove the hitch?
Dwmcclure84

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKmI9lsMz3U

Try the above link.

Thanks for the link, however my hitch appears to be different from that one. Near the rear of the hitch (towards the front of the jeep) there is a piece of metal that has a hole for one bolt that goes on top of the skid plate/fuel tank assembly. All nuts are removed that are visable (and that were shown in the video), but the hitch is not budging.

Dwmcclure84
Something is still holding the hitch and you need to check if there are any bolts or nuts holding it from above.

Actually I found them. There are a total of 3 bolts near the two rear tire wells (a total of 6), four clips near the hitch itself, and last night I found 2 10mm bolts that were under the rear fender going up into the cargo area. Thanks for all the help!

Dwmcclure84
You're welcome.

Glad to know you have the problem fixed.

Have a great day.