WHY DOES THE FUSE KEEP BLOWING ON REPAIRED AC?? NOW RADIO DEAD TOO??

1999 GMC Safari • 140,000 miles

Help! I've had my Safari about a year and a half, and I love it, but I can NOT seem to get the air to work. And I have spent well over $1000 on it! First of all, it is a 1999, but I am told it has a 2000 engine. Not sure if that changes anything. Shortly after buying it, I got a cd player installed. Within 2 weeks of that, the cluster went out. Replaced it. Then air started blowing only out of the dash and rear, and never did blow on high ever. Was told it was the resister and blower motor and hoses. Replaced all those. Was told wire harness melted due to bad resister. Replaced that. Charged with freon, which ran out in about 2 weeks. Suddenly, with no AC switch on at all, the van died in the middle of the road. Was told compressor was bad. Replaced it. The mechanics then could not get the AC to stay on for more than a second without the fuse blowing. They went through a box of fuses with the same result. Now they say it's the control panel. Replaced it. Still the same problem. Fuses blowing. Now the radio is not working either. Fuses for it are fine though. I don't know what to do now. We have had many mechanics look. We have done everything they said to do, and used up all the money we DIDN'T have, and it's worse now than before we started. HELP!
Redthefabulous

When fuses blows, there must be a short somewhere. A power supply wire is being grounded and it is not gong to be easy to locate the source unless you get lucky.

I would like to know the exact fuse that is blowing. Does it occur only when the A/C is turned on? Was the compressor clutch checked for shorting? Was it a new, used or rebuilt unit?

Being a wiring fault, you should have consulted an auto electrician intead of mechanics, many who might not be good with electrical issues.

Just the AC fuse is blowing. New compressor. Didn't have the problem until after compressor was installed. Those are the mechanics that said it was just a control panel issue now. After so many issues, all of which they said I had, I took it to be checked out by another shop (a national chain with a good reputation), and they said the same thing.

Redthefabulous
And yes, only when AC is turned on, then immediately shorts out the fuse and is no longer on.

Redthefabulous
Disconnect the A/C compressor wire and use a fused wire to activate the compressor clutch. If the fuse blows, you know it is the compressor that is at fault.