FORD WINDSTAR DOOR PROBLEM

1999 Ford Windstar

Hi, Im tring to fix my girlfriends 1999 ford Windstar. She has no heat, only the A/C blows. Someone was in there before me, now I have this ( see pic ). Im thinking the actuator moved the door from this hole at one point. Now Im just trying to swing it to the heat position but not sure what direction Im trying for. Do I try to grab it low or high, and swing it right or left? Im pretty sure if I get that far Ill figure out a way to pin it there. Thanks

MarcBelmonte

With the engine at full operating temp, locate the 2 heater hoses where they go into the firewall and feel them to see if they are both hot to the touch. If they are both hot, the heat in that vehicle is controlled by a blend door that regulates heated air flow. It is operated by an electric motor/actuator. The problem can be that the actuator is stripped or inoperative or the door itself could be damaged. This is what needs to be determined by examining the actuator and see if it is responding to heat change commands or not.

Wrenchtech
Im past that. The actuator was taken out by someone else. Im just trying to figure out how to swing the door.

MarcBelmonte
It appears the door itself may be broken but if you actually can rotate it, then the result should be obvious with the temp change. I suspect the HVAC housing will have to be removed and the door replaced.

Wrenchtech
Could you please tell me which direction Ill need to fish for the door. Im going to try a metal coat hanger through the little hole where the actuator was. Do I fish high or low, and do I need to get it to swing left or right. My time to work on it is very limited, usually trying late at night in the dark with a flash light. Thank you

MarcBelmonte
I don't know. There should be a shaft right there that can be grabbed and rotated. If there isn't, the door is broken off and it has to come apart.

Wrenchtech