FORD TAURUS FUEL PUMP PROBLEM

1999 Ford Taurus • 170,000 miles

The Taurus wouldn't start the other day. It would crank and crank just wouldn't turn over. The battery is only a year old. Not the starter or alternator either. It was as if it was out of gas. But there was only 140 miles on it since last fill up.
I listened and when I turned the ignition "on", I heard no buzz from the fuel pump. Fuel pump fuse and relay both good.

So I had it towed to mechanic. Told them I thought it was the fuel pump. Low & behold they put 2 gallons of gas in, and it started up just fine. They said "oh, it happens every once in a while that we get vehicles w/ an empty tank." I told them "no, the tank wasn't empty, at least half a tank in there!" Well, the gas gauge has never worked properly, once it gets to half a tank the gauge drops down to read 1/4 tank (that's why I usually just reset the trip odometer every time I fill up).

Took it from the mechanics, filled it up w/ gas... Sure enough, I only had to put 8 gallons in.

Well, this morning, car won't start. Again, I'm at about 140 miles. Same thing, crank and crank, but no turn over. And I don't hear the buzz at all from the fuel pump.

My question is: it appears as if the fuel pump won't work when there's a half a tank or less. Does it sound like a faulty fuel pump, or perhaps some electrical component/valve associated w/ the fuel pump? Thanks for your time, I appreciate it. ~Jon
Jonderson25@yahoo.com