FORD TAURUS MAINTENANCE PROBLEM

1999 Ford Taurus • 160,000 miles

I was told about a month ago after I took my car in to be serviced that id need to get my spark plugs and spark plug wires changed. Problem was they wanted to charge me Almost $20 per spark plug and another $80 for the wires. And on top of that $200 in labor. I went and got the parts online but havnt had a chance to take my car in to get the stuff changed. The last few days my cars been losing power and jerking going up hill to the point of stopping almost and also has had a hard time starting. Will getting the plugs n wires changed solve this or is it something else that's wrong now? Id hate to shell out $300 for the labor they want to charge if its something else that's wrong. Oh and also its been smoking. Smells like oil burning.

OK HERE'S THE DEAL

HAVE YOU KEPT UP WITH SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE?

MEANING---KEEPING UP WITH TUNE UPS---FLUID CHANGES.......LIKE THE OLE TRANNY AND OTHERS?

HERE'S HOW YOU DO THIS....SEE MY LINK

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2007-ford-taurus-tune-up

THINGS DO BREAK ON THEIR OWN, AND NOTHING CAN STOP THEM

---BUT PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE, CHECKS AND SERVICES KEEPS THING FROM GETTING WORN OUT---LESSENING THE LIFE OF THE SYSTEMS ON YOUR CAR (ENGINE BEING #1)

AS FAR AS BUYING STUFF AND SAVING $$$.....I'VE BEEN SPREADING THE WORD ON HERE, ABOUT PROMO CODES--EVEN BETTER THAN THE SUGGESTED ONES ON THE AUTO PARTS STORE SITES. THEY DO EXPIRE

"FABU" SAVED YOU $40 ON ANYTHING OVER $100---BUT ITS EXPIRED!

AS FAR AS I KNOW "A124" IS STILL IN EFFECT, SAVES YOU $40 ON ANYTHING OVER $110 AT ADVANCE AUTO PARTS SITE (BOTH CODES SAVED YOU "SOMETHING" ON THE WAY TOWARDS THE $110--SHOULD THE ORDER BE SMALLER THAN THE $110)

I FIND THESE BY GOGGLING "PROMO CODES FOR [WHEREVER]" THEN LOOKING THRU MULTIPLE SITES TILL I FIND THE BEST OF THE BESTCLICK "PICK UP AT STORE"---WAIT AN HOUR AND GO GET MY STUFF

YOU WILL KNOW IMMEDIATELY IF THE CODE IS IN EFFECT WHEN YOU INSTALL IT AND CLICK ON "APPLY"---REMOVE IT AND TRY ANOTHER CODE

YOU MUST MAKE THINGS WORK IN YOUR FAVOR---IF YOU HAVE STUFF TOTALING WAY OVER $110--BREAK IT UP INTO MULTIPLE ORDERS! SPENDING $220.02 BUT BREAKING IT IN HALF (IF YOU CAN) WILL SAVE YOU $80!!!

THIS LINK WAS WHEN "FABU" STILL WORKED

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1977-jeep-cj7-front-wheel-wont-into-4-low/page/2

AS FAR AS FINDING AN HONEST, SKILLED, INEXPENSIVE MECHANIC

SEE THIS LINK---AS YOU CAN SEE, I WRITE NOVELS ON HERE--"LINKING" TO PREVIOUS ANSWERS I HAVE GIVEN, HELPS ME WITH MY SLOW HUNTING AND PECKING

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2002-toyota-camry-mechanic-told-could-hear-that-exhaust-leak-need-fixed-before

IF YOU HAVE NEGLECTED THIS STUFF FOREVER----LOOKING BACK, MAYBE YOU SAVED SOME MONEY BY NOT KEEPING UP YOUR VEHICLETHEN THE DOWNSIDE.........MAYBE YOU HAVE SHORTENED YOUR ENGINES LIFE BY NOT KEEPING ABREAST WITH MAINTENANCE.......WILL YOU "EVEN OUT" IN THE END?

MY DAILY DRIVERS ARE 35 ("MR. JEEP") AND 66 ("WILLY") YEARS OLD---I'VE HAD 5 OTHER CJ 5s BEFORE THESE 2 JEEPS---NEVER ANY OTHER KINDA VEHICLE SINCE I STARTED DRIVING ON THE ROAD IN 1981

I'D RATHER BE PLAYIN' MECHANIC WITH THEM, THAN WATCHIN' TV....I GO OVER BOARD WITH MAINTENANCE! THEY BOTH CONTINUE TO SERVE ME WELL--I FIX 'EM RIGHT WHEN THEY ARE SICK AND I TAKE NO SHORTCUTS---I HAVE NOT HAD A MONTHLY JEEP PAYMENT SINCE 1984! (CJ 5 #1)

I WEIGH OUT "FIX" VS "PAYMENT"......."FIX" ALWAYS COMES OUT ON TOP, BY A LONG SHOT EVERY TIME!!!

RETURN WITH YOUR THOUGHTS