WHAT COULD BE LEAKING ON THE ENGINE SIDE OF THE WATER PUMP?

1999 Ford Taurus • 225,000 miles

I have a mystery leak on my 1999 Ford Taurus 3.0 V6 Vulcan (U-vin) engine. The leak is coming from the engine area behind the water pump. It's certainly NOT the water pump itself. I recently changed it and it has a solid water pump gasket seal and not leaking. The coolant is eminating from the area BEHIND the water pump (against engine but between water pump block housing and engine block itself. Could you please advise as to whether or not there is a gasket in this very location or a possible freeze plug? Thank you so much!
Chaunceymcdermott

It could be a freeze plug and they are usually positioned on either side of the water pump in the front and all the way around the block near the bottom of the water jcket.
As far as the leak, you might have an un-even surfaceor the surfaces were not prepared and cleaned properly when the pump was changed. Ohterwise I woul dcheck any ancilliary or bypass hosses as well as for the fluid to be coming from a forward area and blowing back onto the engine.

Thanks a bunch DrCrankinWrench! I'll update this after I diagnose so folks know what it was. Thanks again!

Chaunceymcdermott
Timing cover gaskets are common as well for this model engine.