99 REPLACE FRONT BRAKE PADS AND ROTORS

1999 Ford Taurus • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 80,000 miles

My mechanic told me back in Aug that my 99 Taurus needs to have the front brake replaced (left and right new pads and new rotors). The estimate he gave me was $300 ($70 for pads, $160 for rotors, $70 labor). I took my car in today and have the brakes replaced as recommended. From the moment I dropped it off to the time I picked it up it took less than 40 minutes. Which means it probably took only 30 minutes at most for the job. I didn't think to ask at the time, but when I got home it didn't seem right to me. It's a brake job, not an oil change. Shouldn't it take a little longer, maybe closer to an hour? I am concerned that they only replaced the pads or the rotors but charged me for both. More than that I am concerned about safety. My car did brake better after the job, without the grinding feel that I got before, so I assume they DID replace something.

John
Johnsmith123

Yah, it's a fairly easy and fast job if no other issues are found. Although the parts at an auto store would come to less than half what you were charged! The labor was high too for 30min work? Although the area of the country may influence prices. You should always get a couple other estimates from different sources.

Fixitmr