WON'T START

1999 Ford Ranger • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 135,000 miles

I have a 1999 Ford Ranger 3.0 V6. This morning I attempted to start the truck with no avail. The engine will attempt to turn over, but will not catch. Once I got it to start by applying gas, but as soon as I let off the gas the engine died again. It has been cold lately, but nothing under 20 degrees over night. I waited until it warmed up to try to start again due to if ice had formed due to water in the gas, yet was unsuccesful. Any suggestions?
Jimmyfowler

All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.

Wrenchtech
Locate the camshaft position censor and make sure it is working (turning and pulsing) known to go bad on 1999 3.0

Barry G.
No, don't try the dartboard method. Use the testing to isolate the symptoms.

Wrenchtech