DO I HAVE HAVE KEYS REPROGRAMMED IF I REPLACED PCM WITH A USED ONE

1999 Ford Ranger • 99,000 miles

I put a used PCM in a 99 ford ranger do I have to have the keys reprogramed. Won't start just flashes theft light
Elizabeth1212

Pcm have to be reprogrammed at dealer as they are vin specific

The company we bought it from programs PCM before sending it to you.

Elizabeth1212
Then you still need to get it reprogrammed for anti theft which would include your key fobs

You might try resetting anti theft look in handbook if you still have it. Or go back tot he site and it may be there

FORD KEY PADS

Enter permanent factory code

Press the 1/2 button within 5 seconds to enter programming mode

Within 5 seconds enter new code, doors will lock, unlock to verify code, this erases previous codes
remotes will also need to be programmed.

FORD KEY PADS/REMOTES

Insert key, turn ignition off to on eight times in succession, ending with key in on position doors will
lock, unlock to verify in programming mode

Press any button on new remote, doors will lock, unlock to verify

Do the previous step with the second remote, doors will lock unlock to verify.

Turn ignition switch off. Doors will again lock, unlock to verify.

When we try and start truck with new PCM it won't crank theft light will flash a 2 and 3 and from googling that it says key does not match PCM. So just trying to figure out if this sounds right or is it possible company did not program new PCM. It will sometimes flash a 1 and 6 to not sure what that one is. Is it common to have to get keys reprogrammed even if PCM is programmed for that vin

Elizabeth1212
You are probably talking about a 1600 code which means the key doesn't match. You'll have to get this reprogrammed at a dealer. I really don't know how someone can sell a pcm already programmed when they don't have the vin. If it is it's just a general one. If you change a pcm it HAS to be reprogrammed for the vin including keys/keyfobs

Thank you for the info. Going to assume company we bought pcm was wrong bout telling us it would be flashed an ready to go. It's at the dealer now

Elizabeth1212
So dealer says there is a short somewhere that its not the pcm. So any ideas on what it might be? Truck will not start on its own you can spray it with ether and it will start right up and run just won't switch gears if you drive it only if you manually switch it and then it's only 1st and 2nd

Elizabeth1212
Did they check the fuel pressure? It may not be turning the fule pump on and was the inertia switch checked to see if it is kicked on. Why was the pcm replaced to begin with? There are porbably 200 wires running to the pcm so asking where the short is is kindo fnil at athis point. The circuits will have to be traced down to see whichone it is. I would start with the fuel circuit or see is there are any bent pins on the pcm where it was connected first. Did the dealer reflash it or what exactly did they do?