USING A WIRE TO START MY CAR....NEED HELP FIXING IT.

1999 Ford Cougar • 6 cylinder Automatic • 178,000 miles

I have a 99 cougar and i got it repaired. its been sitting for 3 years. i can start the car with the key sometimes but there is also times that it wont start and there is a wire connected to the battery. I can touch this other wire with a clip on the end (it actually connects to another clip) and it starts. sorry i cant explain this well since i am not a mechanic haha. could someone help me with this?

Additional Details
http://tinypic.com/r/904xlg/6
here is a photo. the plugin you see with the white ring around it. i have to take that apart and touch the wire to the inside of it to start it
Tiffuhnee

What do you jump it to?

I use the battery to jump it when the key is turned on.

Tiffuhnee
Ok, the white wire end goes where?

Do you see the clip with the white ring around it near the battery cable? I have to unhook that and touch that white wire on the inside of it and it will fire right up.

Tiffuhnee
Most likely an open circuit between the ignition switch and the starter motor. Could be the switch, neutral safetey switch or wiring.

How would I fix this?

Tiffuhnee