HARD TO START, ACTS LIKE TIMING IS WRONG, STARTER CANT TURN OVER THE ENGINE. THEN WILL START AND RUN WITH FOOT ON GAS.

1999 Dodge Ram • 14,000 miles

99 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, 5.9 gasoline V-8. Hard to start, acts like timing is wrong, starter cant turn over the engine. New battery, new starter, recently tuned up. Unplug battery cable to reset computer. Then it will turn over and crank if you give it gas. Must keep foot on gas pedal to keep it running after it starts. I think its a sensor - but which one? TPS/CSPS/MAP?
Gjp105@yahoo.com

Any applicable trouble codes? You should have checked for codes before you did anything If the starter won't crank, see if you can turn the crankshaft by hand, pull the spark plugs and accessory belt/s if you have to. If it cranks good but won't start, have a helper crank it, while you visually check for spark at the plugs. If you have spark everywhere, use a gage and check fuel pressure.

If it is just an idle issue, clean the throttle-body and idle air system.

Auto zone shows no codes. It is not an idle issue, it is a timing issue. After it finally cranks, I keep foot on gas pedal, but have found that is not always necessary. Will run forever, until I kill the engine. Kill it - it may re-crank with no problem or it may act like the starter cant turn over the engine.

FYI - I have not done anything because of this new issue. The starter was out because of the solonoid, the tune up and battery were because it was due, and a new O2 sensor was because of a code (check engine light). All these things were done months ago. This hard starting issue is brand new issue.

Gjp105@yahoo.com
Do a compression test. Check your timing chain.

The compression check is great, the spark plugs look great (and they are new ones and new wires with new cap and rotor). If it was the timing chain, wouldnt this happen all the time? Instead - this an intermittent problem that happens usually after driving it for a while (after it has warmed Up). If it sits overnight - it will crank right up, just dont kill it unless you are ready for this issue to possibly happen.

Gjp105@yahoo.com
Your the one that said it was timing? Check for spark at the plugs when problem is ongoing. If you have spark everywhere, use a gage and check fuel pressure. Your bouncing all over the place. I guess I would have to look at it.

My shop manual says that the timing is controlled by sensors that send a signal to the PCM. This truck would run from Texas to California as long as you dont kill it and try and start it soon after killing it. It may start right up, or it may act like a timing problem. If you un-hook the battery cable for a minute and try the starter it will crank up with the foot on gas pedal.

You do not think it is a sensor? Crankshaft or camshaft sensor?

Gjp105@yahoo.com
Thanks, will give that a look.

Gjp105@yahoo.com
Hope you found the issue.

Have not had time to work on it, maybe this weekend.

Will post what is found. Thanks for all your help.

Gjp105@yahoo.com
Page 1 of 2