ENGINE DIES

1999 Dodge Ram • 189,000 miles

My husband has been having trouble with his Ram 1500. We've had it to the mechanic and he doesn't know what is wrong with it. My husband could be driving down the road and out of no where the engine dies. He tries to start it and it just won't 'catch'. If he waits 15-30 minutes, it will start up. I'm afraid that God forbid he is on the interstate and the engine dies again, that it won't be pretty. Can you give me any idea's what it might be. My husband thinks it may have something to do with the ignition or coil pack? Please advise. Thank you.
Debbie
Nmcb13

Scan for codes and check fuel pressure first. Then check the auto shutdown relay which Is in the underhood fuse box. It should be marked on cover. Also clean throttle plate with choke cleaner on both sides as well as iac hole. Check duct work from air cleaner to throttle body for holes if there are any block them off or get new duct work. Fuel pressure should be 44-54psi with engine idling.

My husband wasted money on replacing coil pack since mechanic couldn't find out what was wrong before. Well, needless to say, my stubborn husband is now stuck on the side of the road with the same issue! I will print this out and give it to him. Maybe that will work. But he also said that usually when you turn the ignition key, the gauges will move, even if the vehicle isn't started. But when he turns the key, there is nothing. Please help before this 1999 truck costs us a fortune in guess work! Thanks!

Nmcb13
Because the gauges move isn't check ing fuel pressure, check the asd relay-auto shutdown relay underhood with a ike relay and it has to have th other stuff done that I had recommended as well. Make sure to check fuses underhood as well.

"a ike relay". What is this? I have passed on your information to my husband and he will talk to the mechanic in the morning. Thank you so much for your advise!

Nmcb13
I mean t like relay sorry keyboard doesn't do what I want a lot of times lol.