CRUISE CONTROL

1999 Dodge Caravan • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 105,000 miles

Cruse Control Stopped Working On my 1999 Dodge Caravan SE. All the light indicators are on, but it does not engage. Could it be a fuse or something else?
Omontes7

Hold up the brake pedal with your foot. It the cruise works, check the adjustment of the brake light switch. The Chrysler DRB3 scanner has a menu to read the "last cutout" for the cruise control. It will also show the state of every switch to see if one is pressed or released.

Hold up the break pedal while idling or with the van off? Or while driving?

Omontes7
While you're driving when the cruise control SHOULD work which is typically above 35 mph.

Thanks Very Much. Where is the Chrysler DRB3 scanner?

Omontes7
That's the computer the mechanics at the dealership use to talk back and forth with all the computers on the van. I have one because I can use it on all of my older cars. (I'll never buy anything newer than a '95 model). You can buy them over the internet right from the company that makes them but the kit costs over $6200.00. I can get you one from the dealership I used to work for but the cost is still way more than the cost of taking the van to the shop. You have to have enough use for it to make it be a good value. With an additional plug-in card it will also work on engine / emissions-related stuff on any brand of vehicle sold in the U.S.

The cruise control screen on the scanner will show all of the switches and whether they're pressed or released. Under the "reason for last cutout" it will list things like "vehicle speed too low", "ignition switch turned off", "brake pedal pressed", and "cruise control power switch turned off". Obviously the reason will be "ignition switch turned off" because that's what you did when you got to the repair shop. What you want to look for is if that reason comes back while you're driving on the highway and watching the readout. That would suggest an intermittent break in the power wire or overheated contacts or connector terminals in the ignition switch. If you leave the engine running when you get to the repair shop, the reason will be listed as "vehicle speed too low". You have to watch for the reason that shows up while you're on the highway. For a completely dead system regular electrical troubleshooting steps will still work. The scanner is a real time-saver for finding the cause of intermittent problems.

The cruise control cease working after I took it to AutoZone to check on the service engine soon light. After the tech tested the van, the cruise control did not function on the way home.

Omontes7
The two things should not be related but it's impossible to say for certain until the cause is determined. To double-check, there is a green "Cruise" light on the dash that turns on and off each time you press the on / off switch, right? If that light doesn't change when you press the button, suspect the clock spring. That is a wound-up ribbon cable in a plastic housing under the steering wheel. When that cable breaks the cruise control, horn, and air bag systems will be affected, but not necessarily all at the same time. If the horn does not work or the air bag light is on while driving, the problem is fairly certain to be the clock spring. Also check the vacuum hose and the throttle cable on the servo under the hood. To find the servo, follow one of the two throttle cables to it.

All the indicators and lights function properly and the airbag does not remain on. I checked the vacuum hose and it seems properly attached and without leaks.

Omontes7
Then the best thing to do is use the Chrysler scanner to view the switch state. Since the Engine Computer is involved, there is no way to perform electrical tests to see what the computer is seeing and requesting.