WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM WITH THE VAN OVERHEATING QUICKLY AND IT GOT HOT QUICKLY?

1999 Dodge Caravan • 84,500 miles

Husband drove van from St. Charles missouri to Lonedell missouri during bumper to bumper hwy traffic with the air conditioner running and had no problems with overheating or even gauges showing a sign of over heating. Van sat in driveway for about 15 - 20 minutes. While in driveway it wasn't running. Then I drove it to gas station which is about a quarter mile from house. Came back and van sat not running in driveway again but only for about 5 minutes. Then drove back to gas station. Left van running while in station this time for about 5 - 8 minutes. Drove van home and sat with van idling while talking with neighbor(outside temp was about 83 - 86°). After about 8 - 10 minute s I could smell the odor of antifreeze(odor when radiator is busted or extremely hot). Looked at gauges and noticed that the water light was on. Immediately I shut van off, the odor got stronger and you could hear the fluid bubbling(like a hot pot on high on the stove boiling with liquid in it)extremely loudly. Listened to it for about 5 - 8 minutes. Got out of van, just pulled the hood release but did not open up. Walked to the front of van and noticed that there was some liquid on the ground. If I had to estimate it was about a quarter gallon at the most that came out from overheating. At that point the van sat for a good half hour to an hour cooling. Then drove to my driveway about only a 100 - 125 yards apart. Van has been sitting since not running or anything. Why or what could be the problem and cause it to overheat? I would think that driving in rush hour traffic it would have overheated or gauges light up to warn of temperature rising. There was no sign of overheating at all on the bad traffic during rush hour with the distance it was driven. I do know for a fact that the fuses for the coolant system were and are in great working condition. It was safety inspected today also about 2 - 3 hours prior to this happening. The mechanic never once mentioned anything about overheating or coolant system. Hope this information is helpful and detailed enough for you to give me a good idea if not the definite problem with the van overheating. Thank you for your time and knowledge. I am very sorry hat I can not afford to give a donation at this time for your time and help. I honestly just purchased this 1999 Dodge Caravan sport with the 6 cylinder motor about 4 hours prior to this happening. I drove it all over trying to find somewhere to safety inspect it for me today at that time I purchased it for $3200.00. Had to get temporary tags so I could get it home today. I never had a problem out of. It driving all over trying to take care of business earlier today. I am praying that this is not an expensive issue cause I have all my money tied up in just purchasing and get it legal to drive until I get everything together for sales tax and licensing. I am very sorry.
Katherinefagin

Is full of coolant, does the heater work, when it's overheating is the cooling fan running? Is the temp gauge reading hot or normal

Djcl
THE DONATION THING IS NOT A MUST---BUT IS APPRECIATED

WE ANSWER LOTS AND LOTS OF FREE QUESTIONS

WHILE YOUR RIG SEEMINGLY WAS RUNNING HOT, WERE THE COOLING FANS RUNNING?

THERE ARE MANY THINGS THAT MIGHT MAKE IT RUN HOT.....EVEN FIVE MINUTES AFTER LEAVING THE FACTORY SOMETHING COULD HAPPEN! SO LET'S NOT GET LOCKED INTO THINKING THAT THINGS SHOULD ALWAYS BE PERFECT BECAUSE IT WAS JUST LOOKED AT.....THIS IS A MACHINE, BUILT AND SERVICED BY IMPERFECT HUMANS.

THIS IS WHAT I'D DO 1ST

LOOK FOR LEAKS FROM THE COOLING SYSTEM....COLD

REFILL THE SYSTEM---NOTE HOW MUCH IT TAKES TO DO SO

CRANK AND GET TO OPERATING TEMP....LOOK FOR LEAKING

PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO WHEN THE FANS COME ON.....TIME WISE AND TEMPERATURE WISE____________THIS COULD BE AS SIMPLE AS A COOLING FAN RELAY NEEDING TO BE REPLACED

THERE ARE OTHER POSSIBILITIES....I FIGURE WE WILL CHECK EZ STUFF 1ST, BEFORE MOVING ON INTO EXPLORATORY SURGERY

IF IT STARTS OVERHEATING---TURN IT OFF---RUNNING THE ENGINE IN AN OVERHEATED STATE CAN DAMAGE THE HEADS, BLOW THE HEAD GASKET, AND MORE.....HOPEFULLY THIS HAS NOT ALREADY HAPPENED

RETURN WITH ANSWERS, I MAY CAN AID YOU WITH DIAGRAMS ON THINGS TO CHECK, OR WHERE STUFF IS LOCATED

I SLING THIS LINK OUT TO FOLKS, THIS COULD SAVE YOU SOME $$$ AND AID YOU I DIY

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2007-ford-taurus-tune-up

THIS HAS WORKED FOR ME FOR MANY YEARS..........."MY NAME IS CJ MEDEVAC....AND...I....AM A.......DIYer!"