99

1999 Dodge Avenger • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 174,000 miles

My 99 Dodge avenger sounds like it wants to start but it wont turn on. With the turn of the key the car trys to start but never remains on. A mwechanic told me it requires a "computer" that will cost $900.00 if bought new. Is there something you can recomend?

Leo
Lfortyz

**Cranks but no start condition: Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.