TRANSMISSION REPLACEMENT - CARAVAN

1999 Dodge 600 • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 250,000 miles

I want to replace the transmission in a Dodge Caravan. I am just a Saturday Mechanic but don't mind learning. Where can I get a good guide on doing this replacement?
Gerald Meissner

Nothing beats the factory service manual. I sell them at the nation's second largest old car show in WI. You can also find them on eBay or you can buy a new one right from Chrysler. The girls in the office at the Chrysler dealership can provide you with the order form. If you can't find one or it's no longer available, let me know. I think I have a couple.

You will have to remove the cross member to drop the transmission down. There is a stamped steel plate under that cross member. Be sure it is in place before you lower the vehicle back down onto the tires, otherwise the weight can cause the cross member to crack. Those are special bolts that hold the plate on too. They are coated to prevent corrosion.