MY IS BLOWING BLUE SMOKE, WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? AND WHAT DO I NEED TO GET REPAIRED/REPLACED? AND HOW MUCH WOULD THIS COST ON ADVERAGE?

1999 Daihatsu Sirion • 250,000 miles

The car blows blue smoke when I am in 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear. Really thick and alot of it, other then that it "feels" like it is running fine to me
Reereee7

Most likely the valve seals are worn and replacement of the seals should cost you a couple hundreds. Generally the head need not come off. The selas replacement should reduce the smoke by at least 70 %. Remember to check your engine oil level, there should be some consumption.

Yes, from what I can tell, from a person who knows stuff all about cars, it is burning oil, I put about a litre of oil in it a fortnight, and when I pull the dipstick out to check it, it is always black, without fail, even when I have only just put fresh oil in there, so I am thinking maybe sludge in the oil tank? It is full of coolent, doesnt use any at all, I have had the car since September last year, and check the water/coolant fortnightly and have NEVER had to even top it up, temperature always sits on or below half.

When taking off at traffic lights, weather the car is cold or warm, I engulf the car behind me in thick smoke, its not dark smoke, it is either white or blueish colour, into second gear and the smoke isnt as bad but it is still there, third gear its almost gone, 4th gear and above I can't notice it at all. It has been doing it for months and months, but I have literally just been topping up the oil and hoping it gets me by for now. I'm a single mother, paying out $1000 for a car that I only paid $1800 for is a nightmare to me.

When the car is warm, and just parked and idling, the smoke only occurs when the accelerator is pressed. When its cold though, sometimes if I sit there for 5 minutes without driving the smoke starts to come out on its own, even when I dont accelerate.

I park my car in the garage, every day, and after 3 months there is prob about a teaspoon of oil leak underneath the car.

Also the exhause pipe is black and sooty, and after I have driven the car for 5 minutes (if that, just to run down the shop) I notice the exhause drips cold water and a few black spots of what I think is oil.

What do you think? Sorry for the essay

Reereee7
Doesn't seem to be anything major except for the valve seal replacement which should get you going for quite some time.

As to the oil leak, it would depend on where is is coming from. If from front of engine, that would be from the timing belt area meaning either the crankshaft or crankshaft seals needs attention.

If it is from between the engine and transmission, that would be the end seal (flywheel oil seal).

When engine is of some age, the oil would always look black, even if it is newly replaced. That is nothing to worry about. Where I live, engine oil is commonly referred to as "black oil", due to its color.

Oh well I hope you are right and it is only the valve seal replacement! I'll take it down to the mechanic on monday and hopefully they tell me the same thing

Reereee7
They might tell you more than that, maybe an engine rebuild but I would suggest starting with the valve seal replacement.

Hi, I was wondering if you ever got this fixed and if it was just the valve stems or was it the rings / rebuild?

Many thanks
Tim

Timm_ehh