SECURITY SYSTEM ISSUES

1999 Chevrolet Silverado • V8 4WD • 13,600 miles

I just bought a 99 Chevy Z71 two days ago. On my way home from work, the Security light came on. When I got home, I turned the truck off and restarted it. Everything seemed fine. Later I get back into the truck to go to work, and the light starts flashing. When I try to start the truck, it fires, but then shuts off like it's not getting any fuel. Had to leave truck home. When I get home, the battery is dead. Got it in charger now, but ho do I get te thing to start so I can get it fixed?
Mr51575

You have an issue with the Passlock immobilizer. It requires a Tech2 scan tool to be able to diagnose these but one of the more common problems is the sensor in the ignition switch messing up. I'm giving you the relearn procedure that may or may not work. If it doesn't or if it happens frequently, you will have to get it diagnosed properly.

PASSLOCK 10 MINUTE RELEARN

AUTO LEARN
Time required, approximately 10 minutes: 1. Insure that the battery is fully charged.
2. Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
3. Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the CRANK position attempting to start the vehicle. The vehicle will start and then stall.
4. Leave the ignition switch in the ON position while observing the security indicator.
5. When the security indicator turns off, which can take up to 10 minutes, turn the ignition switch off. Wait 10 seconds.
6. The BCM and the PCM will learn the new code on the next start attempt.

Wrenchtech