LOST KEY

1999 Chevrolet Lumina • FWD Automatic • 177,000 miles

I lost the ignition key to my 1999 Chevy Lumina. It is a chipped key. This is a used car. The dealer made a key from the vin number which engages the switch but will not turn in the ignition. I have a key made from my original. This key doesn't have a chip in it. Also, this key will not go all the way into the ignition. Why won't the non-chipped key go all the way into the ignition? Is it because it doesn't have the contact "bump" from the chip to allow it to go all the way into the keyhole?
ChevyLumina1999

He has apparently made the wrong key for the vehicle.

Wrenchtech
The following explains how it works and the answer is yes, the key lacks something.

DESCRIPTION & OPERATION

Vehicles are equipped with Personal Automotive Security System (PASS-Key(R) II). This security system is designed to prevent vehicle theft by disabling fuel system and starter unless an ignition key with a specific electrical resistance is used in the ignition key lock cylinder. PASS-Key(R) II system operates using sensing contacts, which are located in the ignition key lock cylinder. These contact a resistor pellet located in the ignition key. When lock is rotated, battery voltage is applied through appropriate fuse and resistor pellet to Theft Deterrent Module (TDM). Pellet resistance is then compared with programmed value in the theft deterrent module. If correct code is received, module enables theft deterrent relay, enabling starter circuit. Module also sends a password to PCM to enable fuel relay.

System components include ignition key, ignition key lock cylinder, theft deterrent module, theft deterrent relay and Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

The PASS-Key(R) II system can also be by-passed as a special equipment option on some vehicles.

RPO Code - Description
9C3 - Police
9C6 - Taxi

On these vehicles, a jumper wire is connected across key detection circuit. Anti-theft module remains unprogrammed. These vehicles are not equipped with security indicator light.

RPO CodeDescription
9C3Police
9C6Taxi

REPLACING IGNITION KEY
Verifying Correct Key Code

Lost or broken keys must be replaced with a key that has proper resistance value. To determine resistance value or code, insert ignition key into PASS-Key(R) II (VATS) Interrogator (J 35628-A) and read key code. Use key blank matching this key code and cut it to match original key.

NOTE: Do not disconnect Yellow 2-pin SIR connector when determining key
code.

Determining BCM Programmed Key Code

To determine unknown BCM key code, use PASS-Key(R) II (VATS) Interrogator (J 35628-A) and following procedure.

1. Connect Interrogator (J 35628-A) to dash connector at base of steering column. DO NOT connect to steering column wiring.

2. Turn on Interrogator (J 35628-A) and move key code switch to "1" and attempt to start engine. If engine starts, key code is "1". If engine does not start, turn ignition off and press 4-minute timer on Interrogator (J 35628-A).

3. When timer light goes out, move key code switch to next number and attempt to start engine. If engine does not start, continue trying different key codes until proper key code is found. See PASS-Key(R) II KEY RESISTANCE table.

The previous answer is important information but I believe in this case that the locksmith didn't even use the right key blank to make the new key so there is no way to know if the resistance value is correct.

Wrenchtech