CHEVROLET LUMINA STARTER PROBLEM

1999 Chevrolet Lumina • 110,000 miles

I have an intermittent no start no crank situation. My daughter's car. She claims occasionally, when she turns the key, lights come on, but no noise, starter doesn't crank. Sometimes after several tries or moving shift lever to N and back to Park it will start. But other times that doesn't work either, that could be a coincidence. Every time I get in (after several hours) it starts right up. I don't touch anything, just put the same key in and no issues. The starter was replaced this summer when she was stranded away from home, after a month intermittent problem returned. I have a new neutral safety switch, but haven't installed it yet. I was also thinking a bad ignition switch. But, that's a 60.00 part and I don't just want to start replacing parts randomly.

Any thoughts?
Thanks, Bill

I would start at the starter. Check the little wire on the starter motor for 12 volts with the key in the start position.