99 WINDOW MOTOR

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier • 4 cylinder FWD Manual • 146,000 miles

Can someone tell me what exactly I need to replace in my power window motor on my cavalier trying to rebuild it and even after getting new brushes for it and installing them still weak and not enough power to move the regulator very much at one time? Could it be the spindle or magnet? Any pointers will help. Thank you. P.S. I have tested everything and did replace the switch cause the other side was not working and it was the switches and now the drivers side still isn't working, at my wits end with this. Time to buy a new motor or is it possible to make it work?
Eric1980.eb

I have never tried rebuilding a motor there reasonable to buy a rebuilt one try http://www.rock.com or amazon for a better price on one then the auto parts store.I would just replace it if its not the brushes then you have a stator or magnet issue.

Look for a thermal cutout inside the motor. I think they're a glass bulb with a set of contacts, but Wrenchtech mentioned some other device that I can't remember. The contacts in those glass bulbs become pitted and add resistance to the electrical circuit. They cause more problems than they prevent. You can prove it by temporarily bypassing it with a jumper wire. They do that on a regular basis at one local used car dealership, but I would never recommend doing that on a permanent basis. Lawyers and insurance investigators love to find modifications that could lead to problems.

Awesome all is helpful! I will take that son of a gun back apart and look to see if I can find what you are talking about and if not well guess I'm going to rock. Com thanks guys!

Eric1980.eb
Your welcome keep us posted.

So thanks guys I did have to end going with a new window motor and rockauto was the place to get it only gave 34 bucks for it thanks a bunch for you info! Greatly helped me a lot thanks again!

Eric1980.eb
Your welcome thats what were here for glad to hear you got the window working again.