CHEVROLET CAVALIER BATTERY PROBLEM

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier • 149,000 miles

99 Cavalier, 2.2L charging problems- I have a new alternator, new battery, new starter, new battery cables, and I have removed the fusible link to the starter. The battery is still not charging (12.09v) and there is a slow power drain. I figure there is a short somewhere so I removed almost all of the fuses in the fuse box and it's still draining somehow. I have to charge the battery with a charger to get 12v. After that, the car will start but power drains. Any suggestions?

CavalierHelp

You don't fix anything by removing fuses and fuse links. What is the fuse link for that was connected to the starter? GM typically uses the starter terminal as a common tie point for other circuits and you may have disconnected the generator's output from the battery. First be sure the "Battery" light on the dash is working. That's the generator's turn-on signal. Next, measure the voltage on the generator's output terminal while the engine is running. If it is substantially higher than the battery voltage, the current path back to the battery has a break in it.