GRINDING NOISE?

1999 Chevrolet Blazer • 127,000 miles

The front passenger side wheel area is making a loud noise when I drive. The best way I can describe it is like a card in the spokes of a bicycle but a much louder and deeper sound. I took the wheel off and inspected cv boots and wheel bearing boots, all of which show no cracks or tears. Any ideas as to what it might be?
Jihughes79

Does it make more noise when you turn?

Sean

Seangrant00
That's what it sounds like, I attached an image that Chevy shows to diagnose this problem. Another easy way is to jack the front tire up and pull / push the wheel and see if there is play in it.

Sean

Seangrant00
I don't really notice a difference when turning. So it sounds like the wheel bearing/hub assembly?

Jihughes79
Not the CV joints/axel?

Jihughes79
Try shaking that, the cv axle, same thing if there is play then that also could be it.

Seangrant00
Ok, thanks. I'll try that because there was no play in the wheel.

Jihughes79
It also could be the axle bearing, its a constant velocity joint, it basically can wear out and cause they type of noise you are describing. Can you pull the hub off? If you need instructions on how to do it I can give them to you

Sean

Seangrant00
I checked the CV axel and it didn't budge. I have noticed that it is much louder at lower speeds and you can barely hear it at 60mph. If you still think its the axel bearing and can give me those instructions I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks for all your help.

Jihughes79
Can you get the vehicle to a lift? It would be a lot easier to put the car into 4wd and run it to be able to find the noise easier. I have seen some people use 6 jack stands to do it but I wouldn't recommend it. It would allow you to see more preciously where any noise could be coming form.

Seangrant00