HELP GETTING CADDY RUNNING

1999 Cadillac SLS • 140,000 miles

Ok, so I bought a 1999 Cadillac sls at the auction and guess what. Yep, head gasket going bad. So this is what has happened so far. Can drive about f miles till it overheats, then upon cooling, maybe another mile. This went on for a couple of days. I ordered dura seal as a temp fix since I can't afford a new head gasket, but yesterday before it came, my car had overheated and then wouldn't start. I was told that it could be hydro-locked so I pulled the spark plugs (the five I could find) and tried to spin the water out. Nothing came out. So then I was told that there was water in the oil so I needed to drain the oil and replace it. So I did. I also changed the one bad spark plug I found. Also when I had had it towed home yesterday for the overheating problem and since it wouldn't start, I pulled the battery and fully charged it. So now everything comes on and the battery is fine, but it still won't start. I also drained the radiator and filled it with fresh water and some antifreeze. The engine turns over but just won't catch to start. Please oh please tell me what I need to do to get this started so I can at least attempt the dura -seal. I don't have any money for repairs right now and it is my only transportation. Here's a run down again:

overheating. With last time it came on said check oil level and change oil (the oil had been changed on Monday)
battery died. Has since been recharged
spark plugs pulled, cleaned and one bad one replaced
oil drained and replaced
radiator drained and refilled

please oh please give me some pointers. Thank you

Indyladygeek

YOU NEED TO DO A COMPRESSION CHECK, YOU MAY HAVE A BLOWN GASKET THAT IS SO BAD THAT YOU ARE LOOSING TO MUCH COMPRESSION FOR IT TO START.

Mhpautos
I suppose I would have to take it somewhere to have that done? I don't mean to sound ignorant but I am.

Indyladygeek
It is not a big job, a person with a little understanding can be talked through it, you just need to get hold of a compression tester, you just remove all spark plugs and screw tester into plug hole and crank to get a reading.

Mhpautos
Just out of curiosity, have you verified spark and fuel at this point. If it sounds like a normal engine when cranking, not uneven or excessively fast, then I would start basic and check spark and fuel. If you at least verify spark, then spray some starter fluid in the throttle body and see if it fires, this is a quick check to test for absence of fuel pressure or injector fire.

Factoryjack
I'm too much of a novice to know how to do that. Pointers?

Indyladygeek
Remove the air snorkel from the filter housing to the throttle body, open the throttle plate and spray it in. Just a few blasts and see if it starts. If it fires, you have a fuel issue.

Factoryjack
Cheepest way is to replace the head gaskets. Take the heads to the machine shop to check for cracks and replain the heads. If cracked you need a rebuilt head to replace it. If you keep on driving it your going to blow the motor.

Cadieman
@gstacey. How do I do that?

Indyladygeek
Do you know where the air filter is, and perhaps how to service it? There are a couple of metal buckles that secure the lid to the housing, you undo those snaps. There is a hose clamp loosened through either the use of a standard flat-bladed screwdriver, or an 8mm(5/16") nut driver or socket. This will allow you to remove the fresh air inlet to the motor. You may also have to disconnect the electrical connector to the mass airflow sensor. You will see the throttle plate, rotate it using the throttle cam, that the cables are attached to, spray in the bore, and crank it to see if it fires off of that fuel source. If it does, it will only run for several seconds and die. This would indicate that you have no fuel getting to the motor, either by lack of fuel in the tank, no/low fuel pressure, or no injectors firing the pressurized fuel into the cylinders.

Factoryjack
Ok so my neighbor came over and we pulled the three spark plugs I couldn't get to and have replaced them. He said it is getting spark and there is compression. Also, when we try to turn the engine over, it sounds like the water is boiling in the coolant desk our but it is not. He also said it smelled like gas fumes coming from the coolant reservoir. Right now I'm having a hard time getting the bolt to go back that holds the ground to the back of the distributor. Once I do that we will see if it starts.

Indyladygeek