BUICK CENTURY ALTERNATOR PROBLEM

1999 Buick Century • 235 miles

Alternator removal question: I am replacing the alternator in a 1999 Buick Century. I have unplugged the electrical connections, and removed the bolts except one. The bolt I cannot remove is threaded through the front part of the alternator. It is attached to a bracket that is bolted to the engine block (I have removed the bracket nut and bolt). The bolt permits the alternator to move up and down. When I unscrewed the bolt it cannot be pulled out because the the head of the bolt (at it's extended length) butts against the plastic radiator overfill tank. There is no room to remove the bolt. Thus, I cannot remove the alternator until that bolt is removed. Do you have a suggestions to solve this problem?
Clydeanderson

It sounds like you need to remove the radiator overflow bottle.

Thank you so much for the quick response.
I was afraid of that. Yes, that will work. Unfortunately, I do not have the proper tools to remove the radiator overflow bottle. What's up with this design?

Clydeanderson
Do know what tools and parts I would need to remove and re-install the radiator overflow bottle?

Clydeanderson
There shouldn't be a special tool. It should be bolted to the inner fender and it should slide out.

OK. I'll check it out.

Thank you so much.

Clydeanderson
Let me know how you make out.

It all worked out. I needed to look closer at the inner fender bolts.
Thank you so much for your help.

Clydeanderson
I'm glad I was able to help. Let us know if you have questions in the future.