- SPRING BROKE INSIDE ELECTRICAL DRIVER SEAT PREVENTING IT TO MOVE

1998 Volvo C70 • 58,000 miles

Hello

As the title says, this little spring broke and I don't know how to fix it in order not to have to push myself the microswitch each time I need to move the seat.

I saw JIS001 answered the same question there and proposed to send a repair procedure :
http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1998-volvo-c70

If possible could you please send me this procedure ?

By the way, same problem with passenger seat but the microswitch is not fixed any longer (moves freely inside the seat) and the red handle for rear passengers doesn't work (seems as if someone pulled it too strongly). Is there a way to repair it by myself ?

Thanks a lot
Jazzy314

I am adding the instructions here and the pictures below. Usually it is better if I just fax the repair over but let me know if it works for you?

- Move the seat as far forward as possible.

- Raise the rear edge of the seat to the maximum position.

- Remove the control panel according to the method in VADIS.

- Fold up the upholstery to access the tilt mechanism.

- Make a template (1) for the side that is to be repaired. See step 3.

- Place the template on the tilt mechanism.

- Use a center punch (2) and transfer the mark in the center of the template to the tilt mechanism. Drill out the mark. Use a 3.5 mm (1/8") drill bit (A).

- Place the round eyelet of the spring (1) on the screw (2).

- Hold the spring in place and install the screw into the hole drilled in the tilt mechanism.

- Tighten screw so that it holds spring securely.

- Secure the other end of the spring in the hole (3) in the tilt mechanism.

- Check the function of the tilt mechanism.

- Reinstall the control panel.

Template 3

LH = Left-hand side

RH = Right-hand side

Copy the template.

Check that the dimension (A) is 34 mm.

NOTE: Due to tolerances in reproduction of this document the template may not be the exact size. Measurement (A) should be 34 mm (1-11/32"). This can be corrected by enlarging the template in a copying machine.

Check that the enlarged template measures 34 mm (1-11/32"), adjust copier it necessary to achieve correct size.

Cut out the template.

Check that the template aligns with the tilt mechanism. See the illustration in step 1.

As for t he passenger side you may need to replace the microswitch if it is broken. The red handle you are talking about, I can not picture it in my head right now? Can you post a picture of it to see what you are talking about please?

JIS001
Thanks so much for your answer! It took me some time to try your solution but eventually I did it today and everything works fine.

For the other seat, I'll send you a picture as soon as possible.

Have a nice day

Jazzy314
Hello

i have the same problem but I have some problems with it
the plastic peace where the leather goes round, how can you remove it easely?
I was able to drill a hole at about the right place but.
Does the spring go on the outside or the inside of the seat
There is very very little place at the inside of the seat olmost imposible
dit you perform this repair with the seat in the car or removed it?

Hopefully you can help me

thanks

Dirkvis1968
Hello

Actually I tried to remove this little piece you're talking about but I didn't succeed so I just feld it. Thus it should be alright if you were able to drill the hole without removing the piece.

Then you need to put a somewhat long screw inside the hole in order to hold the spring (the screw should go inside the spring).

Indeed there is not much room but if you adjust the seat so that it's in the most forward and most upwards position you can, you should have enough room to perform the repair.

Good luck

Jazzy314