VOLKSWAGEN TRANSPORTER FUEL PUMP PROBLEM

1998 Volkswagen Transporter • 206,000 miles

Hi, my t4 1998 transporter when I start it im getting a big cloud of white smoke out of the exhaust in the morning, it runs fine all day and starts every time, could you give me some idea of what it could be please? Also my friend said it could be the fuel pump but would the van start and run if the fuel pump had gone.
Daren64

If Diesel, 1 bad glow plug?

Thomas

Exovcds
Could also be valve stem seals leaking oil past the seal. The oil then gets burnt on start-up.

Thomas

Exovcds
Ok thanks thomas, what about the fuel pump could that have anything to do with it? Would the van still start and run if the fuel pump was not working?

Daren64
Still don't know what engine. Gas, diesel, 4, 5 6 cylinder?

Exovcds
Diesel 2.4 non turbo?

Daren64
Ok, now that I know it is a diesel... have the Injection pump timing checked.

Does the van have a "choke" that you can pull out? If yes, try starting the van with the Choke pulled out.

The choke alters the injection timing (advances it). So if the van starts better / less smoke, then I would check pump timing.

I did that recently on one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8EHzRD5r_0

Thomas

Exovcds
If the fuel pump were faulty, it would have trouble starting and it would be more consistent.

I have a diesel purge video (fuel pump priming). Look for it on my channel.

To rule-out fuel supply issues, run the engine off of a separate fuel source. Run it for a few minutes and then shut it
off and try to start it the following day. If she starts right away with no smoke or other issues, could be that your fuel
drains back into the tank over night when the stock items are attached?

Thomas

Exovcds