ENGINE IS HAVING PROBLEMS WHILE RUNNNING

1998 Volkswagen Jetta • 111,213 miles

1998 Jetta GLX VR6 issue with running/driving. In service went for a tour and car just issues now. Replaced so much just to let it sit in the garage. Cat convtr went out when I got back and was replaced, then took car to specific store to get O2 sensor. After I returned home I went to work at the unit. On the way home the old cat convertor was smoking and I stopped and saw the cat glowing so I called a tow to get home.

I had the cat replaced by an ARMY mechanic it was a smaller cat convertor than what wan on before but it was a direct fit and we had no trouble replacing it. I could drive the car at this point but it did not have the O2 sensor or a muffler as the old one had come off when I was gone.

I had the car towed to a specific store that specializes in mufflers as I had ordered one via net magnaflow cat convertor and muffler myself and they said those would be no problem to work with.

The shop worked on the car when they had free time and tried to save me money only working when slow. The battery had died when it arrived there so we went to wal mart and got a new battery. They ordered a O2 sensor that ran $200.00 not even name brand its small and not heated. They found the 2 mufflers on the jetta had a burnt honey comb in both manufacter mufflers as I had saved the one that fell off and they cut off the other near the rear wheels/suspension.

They had the car for about 3 weeks and when I went to pick it up I could accellerate for about 5 seconds then the car would still be running but just would not go or accelerate any more. I took the car back and they said they had no idea what the problem was. They also said every time they put the car on the cpu machine it would have a new code of a problem every time.

I have called many stores and I was told many things so far including.
The CPU is broken
All the spark plugs/wires are bad. Changed all no change.
Air flow not enough.
Issue burning off fuel with new cat/O2 sensor
Exaust not enough now with taking off other/2nd muffler

I can do some things with cars but this is way out of my area. I am just a Supply SGT but I will what I can with a little help.
Nexed

Have they scanned the computer for code/s if not try getting it done and also check the EGR valve and throttle position sensor-