ENGINE OVERHEATING

1998 Toyota Corolla • 200,000 miles

Hi, my car (a toyota sedan ) has been having an overheating problem so I first thought it was caused by the lose radiator cap, which we replaced with a more fitting one.

Still especially when driving uphill or accelerating at high speeds, the engine overheats and you can hear a "boiling" sound coming from the radiator.

The coolant reservoir also tends to fill up during this (about after 40 kms of travel).

my mechanic tells me we have to replace the cylinder head gasket and do a refacing.

Do you think there could be any other problem which I may need to check first before doing this since it also doesn't sound cheap?
Stephenkangethe

You coudl try a thermostat, but pressure check it first to see if there are any internal leaks. Also disconnectthe fan andcheck radiator for cold spots if they have them then the rad needs replacing. It still cold be the head gasket

Overheating during high speed driving and under load is an indication of inefficient cooling. Check the radiator for clogging.

Perform external test first and if you do not have coolant losses from radiator and drives ok under normal conditions, I don't think it is a blown head gasket.